Thursday, November 3, 2011

ORCL 11/3

Today I'm going to give a quick rundown of my first trades in the stock market.  As of now, I'm still playing around with different ideas and strategies, but I figured I would jump right in and go from there.

I decided to trade Oracle today.  Its a name I'm somewhat familiar with, not too expensive, large cap, and liquid.  I like tech in general because its relevant to me.  Oracle has been stronger than the market since about mid August, although I didn't really recognize this until after my trades.  Below are daily charts of $ORCL (top) and the $SPY (bottom).



I started off looking at the one minute charts a little bit after 12 noon.  It looked to me that the SPYs might be stuck under the 125.30 level that had held resistance a number of times earlier in the morning.  Thinking it might fall back into the day's range, I shorted at 32.62 when it failed to break the falling trend line shown in the picture below.  My stop was at 32.72, and after shortly moving it my favor I was stopped out.  This should have tipped me off that both the market and $ORCL were stronger than I had expected.  Unfortunately it didn't and I tried to get short again near 1pm at 32.70.  This was a bad mistake, getting short a strong stock in a rather strong market (in addition, the SPYs had just made a new high).  Had I analyzed a longer timeframe I would have seen this.  @stevemcmannis let me know of my mistake and I was stopped out soon after.  $ORCL trended up all day, along with the market .

1 min ORCL (top) & SPY (bottom)

I learned that I need to be more aware of relative strength intraday.   I also need to think more about the time horizon for my trades.  My first trade moved for me immediately like I thought it would, but once the SPY's showed they weren't going to break down further I should have gotten out.  I'll be back at it tomorrow, following $ORCL and hopefully a few more.  Good luck, and have a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment